Today was cardio core and it was another great workout. I thought I had figured out the timed nutrition but somehow missed a meal and ended up having to finish my last one at 9pm! Oops.
After a full day of homeschooling I had to figure out a quick dinner based on what we had in the fridge. We are Costco addicts and always have some frozen chicken in the freezer. We also have a Costco sized bag of lemons so I went for a lemon chicken recipe.
2 pouches of chicken breasts (4 breasts)
1 onion chopped
1T oil of your choice (I used avocado)
1/2c chicken broth (I used 1/2c water with 1/2t better than bouillon reduced sodium chicken)
1t Himalayan salt
1t dried parsley
1/4t sweet paprika
The juice of 1 large lemon and 1/2 of the zest
5 garlic cloves
Arrowroot or cornstarch (for thickening)
- Select Sauté mode and let the Instant Pot get hot
- Chop the onions
- Add oil when the Instant Pot reads “HOT”
- Add onions and cook (next time I’ll add the garlic here)
- Combine chicken broth, salt, parsley, paprika, lemon juice and zest (I garlic pressed the 5 cloves here, but add them to the onions for more flavor)
- When the onions are looking a bit brown/golden, add the chicken breasts and pour the broth combo over them. Stir to make sure they’re well covered.
- Push off cancel
- Select “Poultry” and make sure it’s at 12 minutes for chicken breast. I’d probably do 14 for thighs.
- Quick release pressure when the timer is done.
- Scoop out 1/3c of broth and whisk in arrowroot or cornstarch to make a slurry.
- Remove chicken from the Instant Pot
- Add the slurry to the broth and turn on Sauté mode
- Whisk periodically while the gravy thickens
- Dump gravy into a blender for a smooth consistency. I just bring the vitamix to the table as a quick gravy boat 🤷🏻♀️
- I had it with some steamed green beans. The rest of the family added some bow tie pasta.