I had gotten into a good rhythm of blogging when I felt I had something to share updates about. Then self-doubt hit and I was sure that there were more interesting blogs to follow and that my story isn’t exciting. Today I decided that this is my blog so it’s important to share what’s going on with me.
So here’s the update:
- I’m getting ready to certify in Core De Force in July. It’s been sort of a holding pattern in my workouts, I do something every day but didn’t have a new schedule to complete till this week when I started the new beginner program YOUv2. I have had people tell me they think it will be too easy but I am loving it. It uses my body in new ways. I’m using the All Access Netflix of fitness system to access the workouts.
- After 10ish years of OrthoK lenses, hubby talked me into prepping for lasik. It’s been 2 nights of no lenses and my vision is BAD. I’m sure there’s a life lesson in here about realizing how blind I really am and how for so long I’ve thought I had clarity. Back in my night driving glasses for a tiny bit of help.
- My 100 books in 2017 challenge is going really well. I’m at almost 40 books and have really appreciated the perspective change as I fill my mind with good and interesting things.
- We have 3 weeks left of homeschooling for the year. As I write our lesson plans each weekend it’s amazing to me to look back at all the 30+ weeks that are done. Time moves on and it’s amazing all we have covered.
- Our city garden is in as of last night and I’m looking forward to fresh tomatoes and veggies.
That’s the update for me. How’s life been for you?
I’m at 3.5 years of working out and decided I needed to review ways that I’m tracking my progress.
- The scale is a daily friend. I’ve had the one pictured above for over a decade and it’s been with me through moving into my first apartment, second apartment, across the country, and into married life. I hang on to it because it’s consistent. I use the same one in the same place on the floor in our house and weigh first thing in the morning. Any increase used to bum me out but now it just tells me how I ate the day before. Too much salt? Too many bloating foods? Super clean and healthy? It also tells me fat % and even if it’s not perfect using the same scale keeps it consistent.
- Sleep. I wear a Fitbit flex (more info tomorrow for Tech Tuesday!) to track my sleep. My goal is 6 hours but sometimes I’ll add a little more if the girls are sick, I’ve had hard workouts and need a little more rest, or if I just need it.
- Measuring tape. I always measure before and after a new workout schedule. Sometimes the measurements change a lot, sometimes they barely move. It’s another thing I track to see how things are changing.
- Labs are essential for me. I am doing this whole healthy lifestyle thing because I’m fighting full blown diabetes (right now I’m a recovered insulin-dependent gestational diabetic who is “glucose intolerant” or “prediabetic.”) I don’t test every morning but will periodically spot check my fasting levels. It helps me know how I’m doing with nutrition and also reminds me I don’t want to have to do this multiple times a day.
Those are my top 4. Which things do you measure to track progress?
Dynamic strength is long but so good. I will conquer the sphinx blasters and all the push-ups. For this round I’m focused on doing as much on my toes as possible before dropping to my knees.
Excuse the horrible tank. It’s comfy and quick.
Round 2 started today. I’m glad for the new Beachbody On Demand More De Force workouts. MMA SPEED 2.0 is so fun.
I decided I’m going to focus on doing my best with workouts and will add full on nutrition in January.
Last day of this first round and I feel awesome. I actually got something close to a superman punch in!
I’ll be doing a new round starting tomorrow. I can’t beat how I feel and this amazing burn.
Why I love this program so much:
- It makes me feel like a bad a$$. Like I can protect myself and hold my own
- The 3 minute rounds are doable for me. It’s a great pace.
- This is the first program that I don’t dread at least one of the workouts. They’re longer than I used to do, but the time goes fast.
- I love Joel and his funny encouragements, but Jericho and her fierce new mama example inspires me every day for every workout
- The workouts drench me with sweat (and I hated to sweat!) and leaves me super happy, which helps me deal with family visits, homeschooling and #momlife.
- With each workout I become stronger on the outside AND the inside.
- Super excited to see how another round changes me.
First, having dinner with Joel and Jericho was amazing. They are super kind and down to earth and amazing to learn from.
They totally kicked our butts with MMA SHRED.
Day 15 was the day of prep before 2 weeks of grandparents (hence my blogging break). I’m super glad I was doing this workout while everyone was in. We live in a tiny 1100sf row house and had everyone staying with us. It was so helpful to have a program with no equipment needed and I could do it in the small space free in our bedroom. Example video below.
Then we had thanksgiving and Black Friday (aka Gilmore Girl release day!), a special 4 year old’s birthday party, her actual birthday, 2 grandparents leave and another comes in.
Tomorrow is day 30 and I’ll be super glad to be back in my basement gym. And I think I’ll be net zero in weight gain which is awesome considering all the food we have eaten out.
Bring on Christmas and a new round!
Stretching Saturday because we have Joel and Jericho coming to Philly live tomorrow!
New favorite recipe: organic cherries and cafe latte Shakeology